This table is an non quantitative analysis of the companies and industries that will be threatened by Amazon.
It’s a completely personal opinion that I update from time to time.
- Barnes and Noble (Books).
- Amazon and other companies start an insurance company (impact forecast in 5 years: 2023).
- Start on the logistics / delivery area (affected companies: UPS, FedEx). Impact forecast in 5 years: 2024.
- Retail: J. Crew, Neiman Marcus, JC Penney, Stage Stores, Tuesday Morning, Brooks Brothers,
- CVS, Walgreens, Rate Aid.
- Insurance companies affected by decision in 2018
- UPS, FedEx.
- Logistics / delivery area companies affected by decision in 2019.
- Logistics / delivery area companies affected by decision in 2020 (this line is put on hold by Covid-19)
Major competitors since the begining
Tecnological competitors (against AWS)
- Google: there were in good position to create what today is AWS (2003-2005), they had the servers and the financial muscle to create the software on top, but they did not do it.
- VM-Ware: there were in good position to create what today is AWS (2003-2005), they had the software and the financial muscle to pivot to offer their internal systems to the public, but they didn’t.
- Microsoft: with Azure they have been the only major company to take part of the Infrastructure as a service market (2017-2018 they started to evolve and be a thread to the public).