3M chief warns Obama over business regulation.
George Buckley, chief executive and chairman of 3M:
“judge people by their feet, not their mouth”
Regulation on the chemical industry is business as usual. Depending of the type of measure, there are companies agreed with those initiatives, there are others than no.
For those they reject to the new conditions first move is threat: we are going to move the company production outside!!
The European Union, knowing this behaviour, based the Reach principles with a basic scope: it applies to the companies that commercialize their products in the EU area. Problem solved.
Client has needs, the most important thing is detect the ones that they really are willing to invest on them.
For sure I have not that all that information. But there are ways to work on this.
If you get the 100% of these “needs”, the client is aware of some of them, but there are others that they are not aware.
Now I just want to focus on the “needs” they initially are not aware.
I work with the teams and the application owners of the client to understand how the things are going on, detect business improvements or productivity faults that could be improved.
Then I prepare a business case, trying to clarify the background and facts that make that the situation (
is not right) could be improved. I know the minimum requirements they want for the E2E services they outsource, so to emphasize the need in these terms is not complicated. Try to demonstrate the ROI is sometimes complex, but at least I always add some figures in this area.
After a year in this position, I have done a dozen of these reports to the client. The result?
- Direct benefits: poor, just 3 of them turned in new contract or a contract extension.
- Indirect benefits: they are happy to see we take care of the situations, we point to the problems, and provide solutions in a pro-active way. They can make business decisions with this information or they can just wait for future when the problem really turn in a critical problem.
I manage different teams and for me it’s essential to understand the way the things happens on each project or service.
The reason is easy, later I have to go to the client and manage situations in the right way. To be in front of the client, understand the situation and be able to provide details that help to the understanding of the other side has been always a good approach with so many benefits.
The problem sometimes comes from the internal management of the team. Some people understand my approach on the help and they are happy to see my interest and the benefits of providing this information.
Others understand this way to the desire of control I have on their activities. They increase the volume of e-mails reporting about daily things I understand they do and I have not to take care of it.
One month ago I had to talk about this point and try to explain my approach in a clear way: I’m not here to control you, I’m here to understand some details of your service that help me to communicate the client in a manner that I can defend our position with the use of information that is useful for all of us; so thank you for all these reporting e-mails you send me but I don’t need them. I know you do these things but I don’t need evidences of it.
The guy got the message in a positive way. The fault was mine, I sometimes do not explain my intentions in the right way and there are misunderstandings. This was explained too.
Now things works better.
(home, sweet home)
The BI site in SharePoint 2010 provides you reports, monitor key performance indicators and allows you to create dashboards that provide a consolidated view of business data.
The business problem that my client requests me is to allow the end-user to provide feedback to the SQL database. There are about 50 fields that are updated from an external source, but around 20 has to be entered manually by the user.
We have found that with the Business Connectivity Services: External Lists – Enables accessing data (read/write) from external systems in the same way that SharePoint list data is accessed.
We have prepared a little demo with a dummy database of 5 fields and it works very well. We can configure the items available for editing and the non-editable.
It’s challenging to learn a tool, find detailed solutions and keep the project on track , but is funny.
Cloud computing? smoke computing?
Take care, there are so much people selling smoke computing out there.
The consequences of the Reach data analysis is starting to have benefits on the European citicens:
The Danish Environmental Protection Agency has published a survey of chemical substances in cleaning products for ovens, cookers and ceramic cooktops. The study determined the ingredients of 21 products and further analysed 14 to measure the level of organic solvents they contained. They also tested four products for the presence of PFOS compounds, but none were found.
The survey concluded that such consumer products do not present a critical health risk to consumers or the environment. However, it did find that some of the products contained organic solvents in concentrations that in certain circumstances may be harmful and therefore the use of such products should be minimised.
A summary of key objectives for 2011.
ECHA key objectives:
- First, the Agency needs to publish online the information from REACH registrations and CLP notifi cations. It is an enormous task to make scientifi c information as accessible as possible.
- Second, ECHA will evaluate the quality of the data of at least 5% of the submitted REACH dossiers and all proposals for testing substances on animals.
- Third, ECHA will provide two important reports to the European Commission: one on the operation of the REACH regulation which will contain proposals for improving its workability and a second on the status of implementation and use of non-animal test methods and testing strategies.
- Fourth, is to address chemicals of concern through the authorisation process. As a follow up of the policy initiative of the European Commission, ECHA expects a larger number of Substances of Very High Concern to be added to the candidate and authorisation lists this year.
Manufacturers and importers of substances key objectives:
- First, submit a registration dossier. Registrants of the same substance must share their data to avoid unnecessary animal testing. The Agency makes the non-confi dential information publicly available.
- Second, on authorization, to ensure the appropriate control of the most hazardous substances, companies will increasingly need to get prior authorisation for their use.
- Third, adoption of new proposals for restrictions will be made for the European Commission and, together with new proposals from Member States, submitted to the Risk Assessment Committee. They have to be adopted by the companies.
- Fourth, companies have to evaluate their chemicals and communicate hazards on the package label. They also have to submit a notifi cation of the classification to ECHA for the public inventory.
By Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.
I have been so much time without reading a book like this. I have enjoyed it a lot.
Next one, Sunset Park the last one of Paul Auster.