This report from Gartner related to Microsoft is impressive, 45 offerings in the Magic quadrant.
Listen this week that a big Spanish company has in their IT road map WordPress as a platform for content management is not a surprise to me, the surprise is that there are still few big companies that are still not doing it.
Open source adoption continues and big organizations are understanding that the long term investment deserves the risk on these type of platforms. The list continues growing,
Right now there are six digital ecosystems that dominates the digital world,they are known as GAFAMA: Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Alibaba.
Between these six ecosystems their combined market cap is $2.3 trillion (equivalent to the size of the UK economy). For the rest of the world there are 2 main questions:
- How can I become the next one on that list?
- How can I survive living on those ecosystems?…how can I interact/negotiate/take advantage of the use of their services.
I am looking for 1 Tera Byte storage solution on the cloud and I started to look for it in AWS and Office365.
The surprise have been: the price offered by Microsoft:
- Microsoft 69€/year.
- AWS: 30,57$/month.
You can repeat and repeat to your teams:
Good delivery and good project performance is the most important thing to retain our customer to continue working with us!
But in some cases they will not understand you, some other times they are so focused on their stuff and some others they just don’t care…
So well, IDC in one of the their analysis they highlight that the factor with more contribution to the customer to buy your consulting services again is the projects delivered on time.
Nice! now I can tell them: It’s not me, it’s IDC saying it.
I have assisted to a crowdchat session, and it has been an interesting experience:
- The integration of chat-twitter,
- How all data can be shared,
- How easy is to access to the profiles of the people attending the chat.
- There is a blocking feature for trolls,
- There is a panel on the right to know the latest posts added to the chat.
- Sometimes there are so much interactions and you have few milliseconds to read each post.
During these years, the 66% of big companies are moving from Lotus Notes to Outlook as e-mail platform. I am affected by this migration and I can only say that my efficiency has not improved, I really cannot change the way to work or share information… it’s almost the same.
What is disruptive it is to move from Lotus Notes to Slack.
- How many integrations can you do with Outlook?
- Is Microsoft allowing to the developers community to work and enable new integrations?
- What is the next good integration in Outlook?
In Slack, the community of developers take the risk to develop something, and if the people use it, it becomes popular and then Eureka! they have build something useful.
The soccer teams are running to evolve in their way to reach new supporters and promote new ways of engage with their brands.
- In May 2015, Real Madrid and Microsoft did it first, they focus on 450 millions of fans.
- In August 2015, Manchester United and HCL, announced the second major contract at this level, with a focus on 659 millions of fans.
- In September 2015, Chelsea and Wipro, announced their digital transformation, fan engagement. The focus is 50 millions of fans.
The target of the “global supporter” is very appealing and soon other teams will do the same to do not be out of competition.
I do not know which strategy is followed by other sports, I only know basketball world. In basketball, the NBA leads the marketing to reach the supporters globally, not the teams. In Europe, there is not such organization and the impact of basketball does not reach other geographic regions.
Automotive Industry is suffering changes, as other industries:
- Speed of online purchases from other sectors (electronics, trips, retail, food…) is carrying over to car purchases. It’s very difficult to sell cars on-line and this requires to have car dealers around the geography.
- More and more people research cars on-line as first step for buying, then they go to the store. This hybrid model is not enough to reduce costs.
- The ‘Sharing economy’ is coming to the automobile sector in to main ways: car sharing and ride sharing.
There are so much reasons for the changes happening, being the main factors contributing to the reduction of car ownership these ones:
- To own a car is expensive, so much expensive, specially in big cities.
- Better public transport has improved a lot in the metropolis and less connections by car are required. You can use public transport plus ride/car sharing, so you satisfy all your needs without owning a car.
- Socially, specially for young people, cars are less important than computers or mobiles.
So, a business model based on car sales growth is not possible anymore.
The solution? Diversify, how? I really don’t know, sorry I have not a crystal ball. What is clear is that:
- The reduction of the automotive industry will continue,
- The competition will be tougher and aspects as security, automation will be clear to enable the companies to compete.
- Software companies will play an important role in the industry, partnerships on this area will be key to see how the competition evolves.
Some days ago I was writing about the challenges of the traditional banks. This morning I was creating an e-mail on Gmail while I was connected from UK and this message came to the front-end of the screen:
Google already arrived to the customer “as a Bank”, no as an IT company.
- Foreign exchange is offered by where the average price is 0,20%. The traditional banks takes an avg of 2%.
- Major retail companies from USA (Rite Aid, Wallmart, CVS…) built a consortium named Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX). They created a new payment system around CurrentC and they rejected the use of Apple Pay. After years of not having the right services and cover the business expectations, this August 2015 Rite Aid announced that they are opening the payment with Apple Pay. MCX is not a bank, it’s an IT organization which has not been able to deploy their ecosystem in the market.
- SumUp, leader in credit cards payments through the mobiles, closes 10m€ round.
Companies supporting banks on their internal processes with very specific software solutions:
- Fircosoft, it’s the market leader of watch list filtering solutions, Fircosoft filters transactions and customers against sanctions and PEPs lists to ensure compliance with regulations on terrorist financing, embargoes and FATCA, and meet Know Your Customer (KYC) and customer due diligence (CDD) requirements.
- Actimize: Detect, prevent, and investigate money laundering, fraud, and compliance violations with a holistic view of risk across your organization.