It’s supposed it is a strong technical infrastructure role that:
- Understands future resource needs, delivering these needs through a capacity plan (similar complexity to a project definition). This plan can includes forecasting and modelling.
- Defines the application sizing to ensure required service levels can be met,
- Defines and stores capacity management data that allows,
- to monitor, analyze, tune, and implement necessary changes in resource utilization,
- Manages demand for computing resources, which requires an understanding of business priorities. These resources can be servers, connections, help desk….
- Models & simulate infrastructure performance,
- Builds a periodic (annual, biannual) infrastructure plan with input from other teams.
- Is coordinated with the continuity manager, availability manager, data information manager, financial manager (who establishes economic constrains)…
A capacity manager is not a role focused on organizational capabilities or specialised on procedures or processes.