This book basically convinces you to change the way to find the job you want.
The difference with others I have read is that it proposes you a specific approach with clear steps you have to follow.
One of the main messages is that if you send CVs on any job board, you will compete against 70 – 80 people; if you use this method you will compete against 2 – 3 people.
The proposed road-map is:
- Target identification: job titles (define at least 5) with target companies (30 – 40 companies) and location area.
- Market validation:
- Consistent connection:build relationship with people, connect with them for learning and looking clarity.
- Identify the experts: look for people who do these jobs or that have done the job in the past. Get in touch with 10 of them per week.
- Try to get introduced through your contacts. If not, get in touch directly.
- Meet the person in person or by phone.
- Follow-up, follow-up, follow-up.
- Craft your career narrative.
- Red carpet application.
At the end of the day, they suggest you to use your contact list as a CRM, get in touch with people, build relationship and dig into these relationships to find these positions that are never published on the on-line boards. The key aspect is: be persistent.