Program activities are tasks and work conducted to support a program and which contribute throughout the program life cycle.
The program activities that support program management and governance include:
- Program Change Management,
- Program Communications Management,
- Program Financial Management,
- Program Information Management,
- Program Procurement Management,
- Program Quality Management,
- Program Resource Management,
- Program Risk Management,
- Program Schedule Management, and
- Program Scope Management.
The program activities enable a strategic approach to planning, monitoring and controlling, and delivering program outputs and benefits. Program management supporting activities require coordination with functional groups in the organization— but in a broader context than similar activities supporting a single project.
The program governance is explained briefly in the chapter 8 of Strategic Program Management fourth edition. I have created this diagram as summary of the different isolated diagrams published in the book.
I have created a map very similar to the one that is shown in the chapter 7 that summarizes the core and supporting activities.
Interestingly, there is not any section that talks about program integration (the only core activity).