In the Project Management environment, the PMs, team members and upper managers each have expectations of what their relationship should be with other parties.
Today I would like to list what top-managers expects from PMs. It’s a generic list, not in 100% of times is right:
- Assume total accountability for the success or failure to provide results.
- Provide effective reports and information.
- Provide minimum organizational disruption during the execution of a project.
- Present recommendations, not just alternatives.
- Have the capacity to handle most interpersonal problems.
- Demonstrate a self-starting capacity (be pro-active).
- Demonstrate growth with each assignment.
- A good PM is a good decision maker under the corporate ethic.
Remember these lines to junior project managers or project leaders it’s a very healthy exercise that helps them to clarify the position they are getting. I also like to remember them to myself in order to reinforce the messages I have to give.
Education and awareness on these practices of people working on projects is mandatory. Don’t hide the paramount.