Look into internet a report from Gartner and Cast Software named “How to Monetize Application Technical Debt”.
They expose a simplified formula for the measure on the individual of a given application based in the number of violations per thousands of lines of code (violations per KLOC).
The formula proposed for Technical Debt is:
- L = Number of Low-Severity Violations per KLOC
- M = Number of Medium-Severity Violations per KLOC
- H = Number of High-Severity Violations per KLOC
- S = Average Application Size (KLOC)
- C = Cost to Fix a Violation ($ per Hour)
- T = Time to Fix a Violation (Number of Hours)
Technical Debt per Application = [(10% * L) + (20% * M) + (50% * H)] * C * T * S
They do not forget the business value as important element of the application value, and they add a conceptual graph where they visualize the application Technical Debt and the Business Value as a Function of Structural Quality Violations.