We are preparing a service support contract to maintain the corrective, preventive and user activities of an application that is being developed now. This is a new type of application done with new technology, so it’s not repeat the process we did for other applications.
Some key considerations we are trying to keep into account.
- We are planning the support activities in “well in advance”, this is necessary due to the slow customer decision process.
- Set expectations of customer takes time, this is a new type of service support so they do not have experience on similar areas.
- It’s important the exercises we are doing with the client in order they understand the service we are going to deliver. This is key, customer assumes a lot of activities are not needed, so they do not want to pay for it 🙂
- Preparation of transition activities between teams is key: documentation, processes, training…; check that all project documents are completed and the quality of the content is aligned with service support requirements.
- Perform the effort estimation is easy, to get paid for it is complex.
- Track assumptions and decisions during the negotiations: “out of scope” has to be defined for all domains of change. RACI chart also helps to complete the responsibility of each piece of work.
- Perform measures before to start the service support. Having data prepared is key to understand the use of the system by end-users, volumes…
- Use readiness Metrics to go/no go decision making process (less emotional).
- Communicate properly when the service support is going to start. Try to reinforce the importance of both teams (project and service) working at the same time for a short period of time.
- Have the service support manager involved in the last activities of the project.
This exercise is being very interesting for me.