Reading about the implementation of a PMO, first phase needed is to create the conditions for change. As part of it, there is the need o creating a sense of urgency and economic value.
Some general remarks to create this need:
- Failures in projects (low trust, bad income…),
- High time + energy consumption for upper-managers,
- People is overloaded for long temp,
- Do no create the number of people that upper-managers “do not want them as PM”,
- Avoid mushroom management,
The main reason remarked in 2 sources is to build a PMO should be “to prevent large projects failures”.
As almost everything in a company, one of the key for a success starting of any idea, is that the idea grow up from direction, better if the idea is told by them 🙂
Reading about all this issues I see that the preparation phase is going to be longer than I expected.